Thursday, June 10, 2010

Strawberry Sorbet

Last weekend the hubby and I bought some strawberries at a local produce place. The container had 6 very full pints of the ripe berries and boy were they tasty! After making trifles with some of the strawberries, I wasn't sure what to make with the rest. We really didn't want them to go bad, and that would be fast approaching with how ripe they already were.
Hubby suggested strawberry ice cream. So we looked in the manual that came with our ice cream maker for a recipe and ended up looking at the sorbet because it didn't need any heavy cream (something that we didn't have). The recipe in the manual, however had both sugar AND corn syrup. I knew there had to be a better way. So I searched the internet to find a better sounding recipe, and at http://www.joyofbaking.com/ I found a simple and tasty looking recipe. After a couple small changes, the deed was done and we have a very lovely, tasty and refreshing strawberry sorbet!

Strawberry Sorbet
(adapted from Joy of Baking)

2/3 c. water
2/3 c. sugar
5 c. strawberries, hulled and the big ones halved
1 tbl. lemon juice

In a small saucepan, heat up the water and sugar over medium low heat. Stirring until the sugar dissolves. Turn off the heat and let come to room temperature. This makes a simple syrup that we will use to sweeten up the sorbet with.
Puree the berries in a blender or with an immersion blender. At this point you can strain out the seeds if you like, but I left mine in. Add the lemon juice and mix together.
Once the simple syrup has cooled off to the point it isn't hot anymore, mix it in with the pureed berries and refrigerate until the liquid has become refrigerator temperature.
Now, following the directions of your ice cream maker, pour in the strawberry goodness. My sorbet was done in 25 minutes. At this point it will be the consistency of soft serve. Eat it now, or put in a freezer save container and freeze until ready to serve. Enjoy!

This tasty recipe is linked up at:

6 comments:

  1. Yummy! I can't wait to make this for my family! Perfect summer treat! Thanks for linking up @PonyTails&FishScales!

    terelauritsen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMMM! Thanks for sharing and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum - I did a post about strawberry sorbet not long ago. Man, it was one of the tastiest things we've ever had. Will definitely make again.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous recipe that can be adapted using any fruit. I've got some strawberries that I need to use too. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. I am so into strawberries right now! I guess that's what it means to eat seasonally. Can you get sick of fresh strawberries? Not! Thanks, we are making ice creams all summer. Check out my recipe for Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream I blogged about last week.

    ReplyDelete