Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chevy's Flour Tortillas

After going to Chevy's a little while back with my hubby, I re-realized how much I like their tortillas. I am a flour tortilla gal, and Chevy's has some great ones. I was impressed to find they posted the recipe on their site: "Famous Flour Tortillas"
I decided to make them at home, and they were both easy and super tasty. Now the recipe is a staple and we will (probably) never go back to the store bought kind.
The recipe is written using a mixer, but for something as quick and easy as this, I just use my hand and a wooden spoon.
Mix together 3 cups of flour with 1/2 tsp of baking powder and a little salt. Then, add 1/4 c of vegetable shortening and cut it in (I just used my hands) until you can hardly tell it's there anymore. Then add 1 1/2 c. of warm water (from the tap is fine) and mix it all together. You can keep using your hands, but I found the dough was loose enough to use a spoon.
Wrap up the dough in plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes to rest. This is a good time to clean up. :)

After 20 minutes have passed, divide the dough into 8 portions and form into balls.
You can roll out each ball into tortillas all at once, then cook them all. Or, if you want your tortillas faster, like me, you roll one-cook it, roll another while the first is cooking-then cook it....so on and so forth.

Heat a cast iron griddle to medium heat and coat with veggie spray to use. Place a tortilla on it. It will cook fast, so keep an eye on it.When it starts to puff up, it's about ready to flip.
Check the bottom side for doneless to your liking, flip, and when done put on a plate covered with a towel.
I like to keep mine in the microwave covered. It seems to keep them warm for a little while longer.



Yum! These are part of my Cinco de Mayo dinner tonight! Make some tacos or burritos of your own with these tortillas and some Roasted Tomatillo Salsa!


Chevy's Flour Tortillas
(adapted from Chevy's)

3 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
dash of salt
1/4 c. vegetable shortening
1 1/4 c. warm tap water

Mix together the first three ingredients.
Cut the shortening into the flour mixture until you can hardly see it anymore.
Mix in the warm water with a spoon until everything comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let sit on the counter for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, divide the dough into 8 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll them out into tortillas.
Heat a cast iron pan or griddle to medium heat and coat with cooking spray. Cook tortillas one at a time, checking when they begin to really puff up. Flip and cook on the other side. Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes total.
Keep cooked tortillas warm on a plate covered with a clean dish towel.


This recipe is linked up at

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up to Tuesday Tastes! I have always wanted to make tortillas! I am going to have to make these!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ crazy Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made tortillas before but I'll bet they are good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, these sound good. I look forward to making them someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried making tortillas before. They sure sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh we'll have to try this!!
    Thanks for sharing and linking up to I'm Lovin' It! Have a FABULOUS weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make tortillas from time to time, and am on a quest for the perfect recipe. I'm bookmarking this to try soon! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so GOOOD! Thanks for linking up to Tuesday Tastes! I love having you! If you get a chance, come back and use the poll in the side bar to cast your vote for the People's Choice Award!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

    www.crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete