Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Apple Strudel Bread

Apples are coming back in season (or maybe they are just on sale where I live). The other day, Hubby bought a few Granny Smiths. I knew immediately that I wanted to make or bake SOMETHING with these apples. There wasn't enough for a pie, so that was out of the question for now. I began my search for recipes online. I think I must have found what I was looking for from my Better Homes and Gardens email list. I was looking at a bunch of their Fall recipes when I found one for Apple Strudel Bread. I followed the recipe exactly, except for a few minor changes.
First, I used all purpose flour instead of bread flour because it's what I have. It worked just fine.
Next, I used only 2 apples. I don't think it added up to the 3 cups the recipe asked for, but it worked well because..
Lastly, I only rolled out the dough to 17x14 inches because that's how big my largest cutting board is.
This bread is so delicious! A whole (huge) loaf has lasted me and the hubby several days, and I can safely say that I am not tired of it yet. Usuallu having something that many days straight will get me tired of it. Not this. I am not a big raisin fan, but I added them in anyways, and let me tell you that all of the lovely filling components go so well together with the lovely sweet yeast bread.
Oh, and that yeast bread. It's made in the bread machine! How much easier could that be?? You can certainly make it by hand, no doubt about that. But I love all of the free time this gave me.



Apple Strudel Bread
(recipe slightly adapted from bhg.com)

3/4 c. milk
1/3 c. butter, cut up
1 egg
3 1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/3 c. granulated sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. active dry yeast
3 tbl. butter, softened
2 med-large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. raisins
4 tsp. all purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
optional glaze (I didn't think it was necessary): 3/4 c. powdered sugar + 1/4 tsp. vanilla + milk

Add the first seven ingredients to your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle. When the cycle is over, punch down the dough and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Line a large cookie sheet or baking dish with foil. (I didn't line my cookie sheet with foil, and ended up with that delicious brown sugar goo all over the bottom of my oven.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a rectangle (17x14 worked for me, but 24x12 would give you a bigger loaf). Brush with the softened butter.
To make the filling, mix together the apples, brown sugar, raisins, flour and cinnamon. Spoon the filling on the middle third of the dough, lengthwise. Another option is to shingle the apple slices all the way across and drizzle the sauce and raisins over that. Make sure to leave about 2 inches on either side so it can be sealed up.
Roll the whole thing up like you are making cinnamon rolls. I ended up just folding the top third over the apples, then the bottom third of the dough over that. Pinch all of the ends and place on your baking sheet/pan. Cover and let it rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
Mix together the glaze ingredients if desired. The amount of milk is up to you and how thin or thick you want the glaze to be. Drizzle over the bread once cooled.
Slice up and enjoy!!


I have linked up with:

13 comments:

  1. come hop on over to our blog if you would ever like to be featured or just need new recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I'd love to try that one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be great over at my Vegetarian Foodie Fridays too! This looks amazing, I'd choose this over cinnamon buns any day!
    Melodie @ Breastfeeding Moms Unite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fun and I have lots of apples on my tree. I posted caramel apples this week and wish I still had some. This looks like a really fun bread, but I agree, I think I will leave the raisins out, the kids don't like those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that DOES look delish! I agree with you, the fall brings great cooking and baking opportunities!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my this looks simply wonderful!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so amazing! i don't have a bread machine...my machine is my forearms. I made some parker house roll dough last night, and it was a bit sweet...but i have some leftover--and a couple of granny smiths from our tree. i think i will have to give this a try in the morning! i might just omit the raisins though...they aren't my favorite. thanks for linking up to TNSC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow stacia, I am giggling here at the comment, I followed the recipe exactly...with a few changes! hehehe...the sign of a true foodie! this bread looks delicious and I am sure it would taste great with some cream cheese and cinnamon on top! Thanks so much for sharing on the hearth and soul hop this week! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great recipe. My daughter recently got back from spending almost a month in Germany and wants me to make an apple strudel. I think I'll make this instead and I love that I can use my bread machine to make the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Apples and raisin in a delicious yeast - I wouldn't get tired of it either! Thank you so much for linking this to the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having a little fantasy about coming home from a long day of work and smelling this bread baking. Oh heaven. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, this looks delicious..and I enjoy seeing a variation on apple bread...I love the goodies wrapped up inside :D Thank you for sharing this with the hearth and soul hop this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks DELICIOUS!! I posted a link to your recipe on my blog! http://thecraftbarn-ny.blogspot.com/2010/10/yummy-wednesday-106-desserts.html

    Thanks!
    Jennifer @ The Craft Barn

    ReplyDelete