Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls

Yesterday was Memorial Day, and the end of Memorial Day weekend. The hubby wanted to take advantage of the long weekend and do a lot of grilling. On Sunday we decided to have hot dogs, potato salad and homemade dinner rolls.
After finding this super easy whole wheat dinner rolls at Finding Joy in My Kitchen, I knew that I could have them ready super fast and that I could even form some of the rolls into hot dog buns!
Plus, they are whole wheat and don't have a ton of sugar. Where could you go wrong? I don't know.
I didn't have enough whole wheat flour for the whole thing, so I ended up using 1 c. whole wheat and 2 c. all purpose. They were quite tasty none-the-less!


Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls (from Finding Joy in My Kitchen)

1 1/2 tbl. active dry yeast
1 c. + 1 tbl. warm water
1/3 c. oil
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 c. flour (any combo of whole wheat and all purpose you like. Or all of one or the other)

In a mixer bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water. Allow to sit and bubble up for 3-5 minutes. Then add in the oil, sugar and salt. Mix it together a little bit.
Next, add in the flour (I already had a dough hook on my mixer at this point), one cup at a time until all is added.
Knead by hand or with the dough hook for 3-5 minutes until a nice, easy to work with dough has formed. You may need to add a bit more flour to make the dough nice and easy to work with.
Divide the dough into 9-12 sections and roll into balls or form into logs for hot dog buns. 12 makes smaller rolls, and 9 makes larger ones. I was able to make 4 hot dog buns with half and 6 dinner rolls with the other half. Very tasty.
Put your formed dough pieces onto a greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 20 minutes. Then bake in a 425 degree oven for 8-10 minutes until they are golden on top. Be careful not to overcook them!!
Enjoy!


I have linked up these rolls at:


Crazy Daisy Button

8 comments:

  1. Those rolls turned out great! They look like they would make a delicious hot dog buns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacia, these look great! Thanks for sharing! I love how versatile this recipe is with the different kinds of flour! Yummy!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are quick! I bet you had some good hot dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea!! I'm so happy these turned out for you :) We had a batch this weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rolls look great. Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! Thanks for linking up @PonyTails&FishScales!

    terelauritsen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking such a YUMMO recipe to Tuesday Tastes! People's Choice Award polls are open, stop by and vote for your fav when you get a chance! http://crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com/2010/06/tuesday-tastes-peoples-choice-award-10.html

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just announced you as a People's Choice winner! Congrats! Here's a link!

    http://crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com/2010/06/peoples-choice-award-10.html

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

    ReplyDelete