Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Buttermilk Bread

Has anyone ever taken a walk down the bread aisl at the store and seen how many different kinds of bread there is available? So many! Not to mention the fancier brands cost a ton for just one loaf!
My favorite kinds of bread from the store are the potato bread and the buttermilk bread. The only time I ever buy the stuff is when it's on sale. Not anymore!
This recipe actually came out of a need to use up some buttermilk. You see, I bought a half gallon on sale (cheaper than a quart). I thought it would be interesting to see what all I could come up with. This recipe isn't completely my own, I found it at food.com and just slightly tweaked it.
What I really loved was not only that I got to use lots of the buttermilk I had, but I also had all of the rest of the ingredients in the house! The dough is made in the bread machine (baked in your oven) for added convenience. Surely, you could mix up the dough and let it take the first rise without the machine, but I really enjoyed being able to push start and go about my business.
So if you love buttermilk bread, or just have some extra buttermilk in the fridge, give this recipe a try. Makes for some good PB&J sandwiches. (Or just good snacking!)


 

Buttermilk Bread yields 1 loaf
(recipe slightly adapted from Food.com)

1 1/4 c. buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. honey
3 tbl. unsalted butter
3 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. powdered milk
1 tsp. sugar
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast (or one of those packets)

Let the buttermilk come to room temperature. Add all of the ingredients to your bread machine in the order the manufacturer desires. For me, it's usually liquids first, then the dry goods, always ending with the yeast.
Set the machine on a dough cycle. We don't want to bake it, just make the dough.
When the bread machine has finished, remove the dough and on a lightly floured surface shape into a log that will fit into a 9x5inch loaf pan. Spray the pan with nonstick spray and place the log in. Let it rise in a warm place until doubled*. Bake the loaf in a 325 degree oven for 20-30 minutes or until it's nice and brown on the outside, watch it to make sure it doesn't burn. Enjoy!
*When the house is cold, I like to let my yeast doughs rise in the oven. I turn the oven onto it's "warm" setting while making the dough, and turn it off once it comes to temperature. Turn the oven light on, as that keeps a nice gentle warm for the yeast!

I have linked up at the following parties:

10 comments:

  1. What a pretty loaf of bread! Yum. I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy, I love baking my own bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not ever tried a buttermilk bread - yours looks just delicious! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe! I recently started making most of the bread we eat (sort of a goal thing), and my family is going to love this. Thanks! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks so yummy...i love homemade bread, but rarely make it. you might just have convinced me with this one! thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delectable and your texture is perfect! Thanks for sharing at the hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely loaf of bread ... I'm yet to venture into baking my own bread!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing as wonderful as fresh home made bread! Your loaf looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing!! We enjoy fresh grilled cheese with this bread... wow. Thanks for a great one.

    ReplyDelete