Friday, July 2, 2010

Strawberry Lemonade

My first time attempting to make strawberry lemonade was last summer, I believe. It didn't turn out so well. I tried mixing all of the predicted ingredients- lemon juice, water, sugar and strawberries. But it was gross.
The sugar didn't dissolve.
The strawberries were diced and floating in the juice- adding no flavor to the drink, just looking gross.
I hadn't used a recipe because I figured that something SO self explanitory as strawberry lemonade SHOULDN'T need a recipe. Boy was I wrong! It's funny how some of the simplest, tastiest food and drink do need a recipe.

(The picture does not do it justice, at all)
This year I was determined to try again. Hubby and I had a ton of strawberries from the produce store and lemons like nobody's business from his parents.
This time I armed myself with a recipe. I don't remember where I found it since I looked through a bunch of them- but either way I came up with a recipe of my own in the end. :)
This time the lemonade was tart yet sweet. Everything I want in lemonade. The strawberries imparted their flavor and gave the lemonade a little extra thickness that I really enjoyed. (You can strain the seeds if you don't want extra thickness) Anyway- hope you enjoy this delicious summertime beverage!

Strawberry Lemonade serves about 6
recipe - The Domestic Engineer

1 1/2 c. sugar, divided
4 c. water, divided
2 1/2 c. fresh strawberries, halved and big ones quartered
1 c. fresh lemon juice

Combine 1 c. of the sugar and 1 c. of the water in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Let mixture come to room temperature.
Puree the remaining berries with the remaining sugar and 1 c. of the water until smooth. (At this point you can strain the mixture if you desire)
In a pitcher combine the simple syrup (water and sugar), strawberry puree and the remaining 2 c. of water. Stir and refrigerate until it's chilled and you're thirsty! Enjoy!

I have linked up my recipe at:

9 comments:

  1. That looks so amazing! What a fabulous combination, particularly for the 4th ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Strawberry Lemonade and this is the perfect weekend for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did it, and it looks refreshing and delicious...perfect for the holiday. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made this, it sounds perfect for a hot weekend! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm! I love strawberry lemonade!
    http://www.inspired2cook.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Success! This looks scrumptious with all those fresh berries. Happy 4th - have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe! I've never had strawberry lemonade before.

    Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete